School Board Responsibilities
What does the School Board do?
How long is a School Board member's term in office?
- Approves the School District budget. The Administrative Team is then responsible to operate within that budget.
- Can take no action as individuals. Rather, they act only as they meet together as a full Board.
- Serves as a liaison between the constituents of the School District and the school staff.
- Must be interested in gaining the best education possible within the financial limitations of this District for the students in the District.
- Works through the Administrative Team to accomplish established School District goals.
In Faribault, we have a seven-member School Board. All Board members must be residents of our School District and be at least 21 years of age. The annual School Board election is held on Election Day in November. Members begin their term of office in January. Members are elected for a four year term.
When does the School Board meet?
Regular School Board meetings are held at 6:30 P.M. at Faribault City Hall and are broadcast live on Faribault's Community Television cable channel 10.
Work Session meetings are held at 5:30 P.M. at the District Office. School Board meetings are open to the public.
Dates for all meetings can be found on the District Website under Board of Education, School Board Documents section. Exceptions are announced on our website and posted at the District Office.
How can I address the School Board?
If a person wishes to address the Board on an item listed on the agenda, he/she will be recognized by the Chairperson at the time that item comes up for discussion on the agenda. Many items of business are considered at each School Board meeting and the Board wishes to give ample time to all issues. Thus, it is important that all persons addressing the Board be as clear and concise as possible. At each meeting there will be an opportunity under Community Comment to address the Board early in the meeting.